Saturday, October 2, 2010

lorentino Perez: "The 33 miners are an example of how to fight adversity"

 

lorentino Perez: "The 33 miners are an example of how to fight adversity"

Florentino

"We would be honoured to receive them at the Bernabeu and celebrate their lesson in life"


Florentino Perez discussed Real Madrid's aid to the 33 Chilean miners with newspaper La Segunda.
How did the news of the 33 miners impact you?
I was absolutely concerned at first but immensely happy when it was announced on 22 August that all of them had survived. All of us at Real Madrid are very moved by all the news that comes from the San Jose mine. Their lesson in life is an example for all of us to follow.
How are people in Spain following these events?
All the media covers the rescue mission on a daily basis. I can assure you Spain will relax and be happy once it’s all over. The miners have our deepest sympathies and they should be proud of the example of resistance they are giving. Spain knows very well what mining is all about. These 33 miners are a symbol of proud resistance for all of us.
Could the miners travel to Spain?
As President of Real Madrid I have already extended my invitation for all of them through Mayor of Santiago de Chile Pablo Zalaquett. I know he has already contacted Minister of Mining Laurence Golborne. Real Madrid doesn’t just wish to only invite them to the game of their choice at the Santiago Bernabeu Stadium, but also pay tribute to them with the affection and acknowledgement of all our fans. It would be an honour for us to be able to receive them and celebrate their triumph in life. Real Madrid will regard their triumph as a victory.
How did you come up with the idea of helping them?
We spent weeks thinking about ways of helping them. The 33 miners are showing the world how to deal with extremely tough moments. I contacted Mayor Pablo Zalaquett and from then on started putting this plan in effect.
I believe you’ve sent them a very special gift.
For a Madridista, his team’s shirt and the crest are symbols of great values. That’s why we’ve sent them autographed shirts that have been customised to read “Strength Miners” and have the number ‘33’. We’ve also sent them a dedicated book with pictures of our players signing the shirts.
It’s a symbolic gift with a message.
It is a gift that comes from the heart of Real Madrid and that is a testament of our solidarity, support and affection for them because of the great challenge they are undertaking. It is also a recognition of their valour, their organised spirit and their serenity in the face of danger.
Florentino Perez discussed Real Madrid's aid to the 33 Chilean miners with newspaper La Segunda.
How has the news affected the players?
They are very moved by it all. They regard them as examples of resistance in the face of adversity and of valour. All the children from our Friends of Real Madrid Academy in Chile see it this way too.
Will these children act as messengers to the miners and give them the shirts?
That’s right. They will be joined by Mayor Zalaquett to hand the shirts to the Minister of Mining and to deliver our invitation once again. We want them to visit Real Madrid City, the Santiago Bernabeu, to step on our pitch and to receive an emotional ovation from our fans.
What would you say to the miners right now?
I would like to express all our affection to them and their families. I wish to send the miners our unconditional support. I acknowledge their resistance 700 metres under ground. Their situation is a first in history. Finally, I would say, “Your resistance is your liberty and we hope to have you here very soon.”